Thursday, August 18, 2011

Blind Spots

I was in my senior leaders home for a regular meeting one day when I came out and found my side view mirror broken in pieces and on the ground beside my car. I was really shocked. No one stopped and left a note, and the guy who came in after me didn't even mention it.  While in the grand scheme of things this really isn't a big deal it was upsetting for a number of reasons. 

1. We have one car to share between my wife and baby and I, and it's a small hassle to have it out for repair.

2. It wasn't worth reporting to my insurance because it wouldn't cover the deductible, which means the cost of repair is coming out of our pocket; an expense we aren't ready to part with.

3.  For me it was somewhat violating because I've always had this thought that bad things don't happen to me or my stuff when I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, in the center of God's will.

At the writing of this post, I still haven't gotten the mirror repaired and we actually have an emergency fund for such expenses, so I have no excuse for not getting it done.  It just becomes a greater annoyance and frustration as time goes on.  Through it all, a very clear spiritual implication has immerged.

We all have blind spots, those areas that are larger than life to those around us, but we refuse to see them for ourselves objectively.  Side view mirrors on our vehicles are supposed to help limit those natural blind spots and help us safely navigate through traffic. 

It seems like the mirror of God's Word is supposed to help reveal our weaknesses and blind spots, not for the purpose of exposure, but so that we can allow the Greater One to work in us.  The antithesis of reliance, is self-reliance-independence. 

We are kidding ourselves if we think the enemy isn't out to isolate us and make our blind spots even bigger.  He will make us believe we are alone, that we have all our issues taken care of and that we don't really need anyone's help let alone God's to navigate the issues of life. 

This little object lesson has made me very aware of areas in which I need the Holy Spirit to constantly be my covering and voice of truth.  


No comments:

Post a Comment